City of Mitcham
Represented by Heather Holmes, Mayor
How does your organisation address climate change?
In October 2019 City of Mitcham declared a climate emergency, reflecting Council's ambition to provide leadership for our community in addressing the unprecedented threat of climate change. Following this declaration, the City of Mitcham has undertaken a range of projects that have made significant reductions to our greenhouse gas emissions. This has been demonstrated through energy efficiency upgrades to corporate facilities, installation of solar panels on key Council sites, and the upgrade of Mitcham's residential streetlights to LED technology. While this reduction is a step in the right direction, the Council understands that more can be done to adapt to the changing climate and mitigate its effects.
What is your organisation doing to create a better future?
Transitioning rapidly to renewable energy, restoring our environment, improving our energy efficiency, and upgrading transport are goals that can be implemented at a national, state and local level to create positive outcomes for the future. At a Council meeting on 27 October 2020 Councillors made a commitment to five pledges as part of its commitment to achieving net zero emissions by 2050.
- Purchase 100% of Council's energy from renewable sources by 2030
- Change all street lights to energy efficient technology by 2030
- Fund an ambitious and accelerated transition towards Council's fleet being fully renewables powered by 2030
- Set targets and fund programs to reduce waste to landfill by 75% both for Council's commercial and domestic waste streams by 2030
- Adopt sustainable procurement and policies by October 2022 to prioritise low emission products and services and incorporate zero emission design into all new Council buildings
Council also aims to assist the City of Mitcham community in mitigating and responding to climate change by funding programs and/or infrastructure to:
- Promote and accelerate a community renewable energy transition
- Continue building community capacity towards net zero emissions and climate resilience
- Transition toward renewables powered transportation
- Assist residents in behaviour change education
- Assist residents in designing new low energy buildings