Race to Zero is the UN-backed global campaign rallying non-state actors – including companies, cities, regions, financial and educational institutions – to take rigorous and immediate action to halve global emissions by 2030 and deliver a healthier, fairer zero carbon world before it’s too late.
All members are committed to the same overarching goal: reducing emissions across all scopes swiftly and fairly in line with the Paris Agreement, with transparent action plans and robust near-term targets.
Better Futures Australia is an Accelerator (through the Alliances for Climate Action) of the Race to Zero campaign, which mobilises cities and organisations to achieve net zero emissions by 2050. As part of this partnership, Better Futures Australia provides support and guidance to Signatories to join the Race.
Better Futures Australia Signatories wanting to join the Race will be assisted by Race to Zero Partners. There are 25 for you to choose from, depending on whether you are an SME, large business, financial institution, university or healthcare institution. You will be supported to meet stringent criteria to bring you to the starting line for a credible race to zero emissions.
You will join 120 countries in the largest ever alliance committed to halving emissions by 2030 and achieving net zero emissions by 2050 at the latest.
Better Futures Australia signatories commit to working to achieving zero emissions well before 2050. Science-based targets are encouraged to guide emissions reduction activities wherever possible, with verified offsets that emphasise carbon removal used to balance emissions that cannot be avoided or eliminated in other ways.
Race to Zero participants are expected to:
- PLEDGE: Pledge to Reach net zero no later than 2050 and to contribute to halving emissions by 2030.
- PLAN: Publicly disclose a transition plan, including actions by 2030.
- PROCEED: Take action to achieve net zero, consistent with your targets and contributing to sector breakthroughs.
- PUBLISH: Report publicly progress on your targets and actions, feeding into the UNFCCC Global Climate Action Portal.
- PERSUADE: Align policy and engagement, including membership associations, with halving emissions by 2030 and net zero by 2050.
Download the 5Ps post here.
Benefits of being part of the Race to Zero campaign:
- Your climate commitments and action efforts will be recognised as credible and science-based, supported by the UN;
- You will be supported in setting, implementing and achieving your targets;
- You will join a community of members spanning regions and sectors, with whom to share tools and knowledge;
- You will have access to powerful communications material and play a part in the run up to and at COP27;
- You will actively play a role in 2022 as the most decisive year in climate action history.
Image Credit: Photoholgic - Unsplash