The Local Councils & Cities Working Group convenes representatives of Australian cities, shires, towns, regional councils and municipalities, along with organisations and businesses that work closely with local government.
We can win, and local government will be a crucial part of that success,” Anna Reynolds, Lord Mayor, City of Hobart.
Local governments across Australia have been at the forefront of climate action for decades. They hold leading insights into the opportunities and challenges of taking meaningful action on climate change today. Through this group, they are considering the collective role they can play in driving national and global change.
The group hosted 'Lift Your Gaze: Australian Local Government Climate Action on the World Stage,' in November 2020. View the recording below.
Thanks to Michael Williams, Artistic Director of Sydney Writers' Festival, for moderating the session and to the excellent speakers involved:
- Julie-Anne Richards, Executive Director at Climate Action Network Australia
- Anna Reynolds, Lord Mayor, Hobart City Council
- Frank Cownie, Mayor of De Moines, Iowa and interim ICLEI President
- And representatives from 16 local governments shared exciting projects taking place across the country to show the transition to zero emissions and better futures is happening.
We would like to thank the Local Councils & Cities Working Group Convenors, listed below, for their ongoing advice, thought leadership and support.
- Alexi Lynch, Business Manager at Ironbark Sustainability
- Darcy Pimblett, Program Development Manager, Cities Power Partnership at the Climate Council
- Cathy Oke, Special Advisor, Innovate4Cities, Global Covenant of Mayors for Climate and Energy, Connected Cities Lab and Enterprise Senior Fellow in Informed Cities at the University of Melbourne
- Margot Delafoulhouze, ClimateWorks Centre
- Steve Gawler, ICLEI Oceania
Join the discussion on LinkedIn.
If you have interest in supporting this group, let us know at [email protected]
Other organisations participating in this working group include:
Brisbane City Council
Central Victorian Greenhouse Alliance
Cities Power Partnership at the Climate Council
City of Cockburn
City of De Moines, Iowa
City of Glen Eira
City of Melbourne
City of Newcastle
City of Onkaparinga
City of Yarra
Climate Emergency Australia
Climate Justice Union WA
Coalition of Everyone
Connected Cities Lab at the University of Melbourne
Dubbo Regional Council
Global Covenant of Mayors for Climate and Energy
Hepburn Shire Council
Hobart City Council
Port Pirie Regional Council
Stephanie Ziersch Consulting
Western Alliance for Greenhouse Action
Western Sydney Regional Organisation of Councils