We are entering the decisive decade of delivery in our collective transition towards a zero emissions, climate-resilient society. Our ability to succeed hinges on adopting a whole-of-society approach, with subnational and non-state actors leading by example and working with national governments to create enabling conditions to move faster together. Asia-Pacific Climate Week is an opportunity to strengthen collaboration on climate action in the region and build momentum ahead of the UN Climate Summit, COP26 in Glasgow in November.
The global Alliances for Climate Action involves three initiatives in the Asia-Pacific region, the Japan Climate Initiative, the Viet Nam Coalition for Climate Action and the up and coming Better Futures Australia alliance. Each is playing a unique role in:
Identifying concrete opportunities available in their countries to accelerate more ambitious climate targets, actions and policies;
Mobilising a wide range of actors, stakeholders and sectors;
Promoting collaboration within and across sectors to accelerate the transition; and
Showcasing opportunities to coordinate and scale climate action in a way that enables everyone to be a part of the solution, and ensures no one is left behind.
The event will showcase how this whole-of-society approach is being pursued in the national contexts of Japan, Viet Nam and, soon, Australia, the near-term opportunities for collective action, and the relevance of this approach to the broader Asia-Pacific region.
Organised by Alliances for Climate Action with co-organisers including Better Futures Australia (Climate Action Network Australia), Japan Climate Initiative (WWF-Japan) and Viet Nam Coalition for Climate Action (WWF-Viet Nam).
- Manjyot Kaur Ahluwalia, Senior Program Officer, US and International Climate Cooperation
- Ken Tanaka, Climate and Energy Officer WWF Japan, Japan Climate Initiative
- Pham Thi Cam Nhung, Viet Nam Coalition for Climate Action
- Julie-Anne Richards, CEO Climate Action Network-Australia, Better Futures Australia
- Toshiko CHIBA, Deputy Director for Carbon Policy Planning Section, Climate Change and Energy Division, Bureau of Environment, Tokyo Metropolitan Government (Japan Climate Initiative)
- Mark Shorrock, CEO, Shire Oak International (Viet Nam Coalition for Climate Action)
- Akaash Sachdeva, Senior Responsible Investment Advisor, HESTA (TBC) (Better Futures Australia)
- Andrew Higham, Special Advisor to the Climate Champions Team
Note: this is an online event.